|ADAMA CAPTAN 800 WG FUNGICIDE||ADAMA AUSTRALIA PTY LIMITED||WATER DISPERSIBLE GRANULE|
|CROP CARE CAPTAN WG FUNGICIDE||CROP CARE AUSTRALASIA PTY LTD||WATER DISPERSIBLE GRANULE|
|FARMALINX CAPTAN 800WG FUNGICIDE||FARMALINX PTY LTD||WATER DISPERSIBLE GRANULE|
|FARMOZ CAPTAN FUNGICIDE||ADAMA AUSTRALIA PTY LIMITED||WATER DISPERSIBLE GRANULE|
|KENDON CAPTAN WG FUNGICIDE||KENDON CHEMICALS & MNFG CO PTY LTD||WATER DISPERSIBLE GRANULE|
|KENSO AGCARE CAPTAN 800 WG FUNGICIDE||KENSO CORPORATION (M) SDN. BHD.||WATER DISPERSIBLE GRANULE|
|MELPAT CAPTAN 800 WG FUNGICIDE||MELPAT INTERNATIONAL PTY LTD||WATER DISPERSIBLE GRANULE|
|ORTHOCIDE WG FUNGICIDE||ARYSTA LIFESCIENCE NORTH AMERICA LLC||WATER DISPERSIBLE GRANULE|
|OSPRAY CAPTAN WG FUNGICIDE||FMC AUSTRALASIA PTY LTD||WATER DISPERSIBLE GRANULE|
|SABAKEM CAPTAN 800WG FUNGICIDE||SABAKEM PTY LTD||WATER DISPERSIBLE GRANULE|
|SIPCAM CAPTAN WG FUNGICIDE||SIPCAM PACIFIC AUSTRALIA PTY LTD||WATER DISPERSIBLE GRANULE|
4. ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Captan 800g/kg5. COST: $19.80 per L or kg.
6. CHEMICAL GROUP: M4.
7. RELATED PESTICIDES:
8. GENERAL DESCRIPTION:An agricultural fungicide.
9. APPLICATION METHODS AND TIPS:Ground application and normally high volume spraying.
Apply in fine weather.
10. ADJUVANTS, WETTERS, OILS:None recommended.
Spraying oils may cause increased crop damage and generally application within 5 days of spray oil or EC product application should be avoided.
11. EQUIPMENT:Boom or hand high volume sprayers. Low volume sprayers must provide thorough coverage.
12. SPRAYER WASH OUT AND DECONTAMINATION:13. WATER OR CARRIER DATA:
Around 1000 L/ha
14. WEATHER:Apply in fine weather. Continual damp weather may lead to higher disease pressures requiring higher rates or more frequent applications.
15. RAINFASTNESS:16. SOIL:
17. PLANT HEALTH and OTHER EFFECTS:
Do not apply within 5 days of applying spray oils.
Don't mix with sulphur on sulphur sensitive varieties.
18. WITHHOLDING PERIODS:19. PLANT BACK PERIODS or RECROPPING INTERVALS:
20. MODE OF ACTION:
21. PESTICIDE RESISTANCE:
Some species may be resistant or develop resistance with continued application. Rotate with products from alternative groups.
22. TOXICITY:Poison schedule - S6
Poison schedule - S
Mammalian toxicity -
Acute oral LD50 - >8400 mg/kg (rats), [For comparison table salt is 3000 mg/kg]
Acute dermal LD50 - > 2000 mg/kg (rabbit).
Skin - Non irritant (Rabbit). Skin sensitiser.
Eye - Severe irritant. (Rabbit)
Vapour inhalation - LC50 - > 0.72-0.87 mg/L/4hr air (rat). NOEL 0.6 ug/L.
Chronic oral toxicity NOEL - ppm for two years.
Not teratogenic but is foetotoxic a 10 mg/kg/day in Rabbits.
Mutagenic in vitro but not in vivo.
Carcinogenicity - Not carcinogenic in Rats. Carcinogenic in Mice with a Dietry NOEL of 800 ppm for males and 400 ppm for females which is approximately equal to 80 and 40 mg/kg/day respectively. Tumours of duodenum were species specific and non genotoxic.
Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) - 0.1 mg/kg bw/day.
Dietry NOEL 300 mg/kg/day (Dog)
23. TOXICITY SYMPTOMS:Nausea and diarrhoea if swallowed.
Moderate to severe eye irritation.
Repeated prolonged exposure may lead to allergic contact dermatitis.
Dust inhalation may cause respiratory irritation.
Some animal tests suggest carcinogenic potential after long term exposure but are not considered relevant to normal use. These emphasise the need for careful handling.
24. FIRST AID:If SWALLOWED - Rinse mouth with water. Give water to drink. If vomiting occurs give more water to drink. Seek medical advice.
If in EYES - Irrigate for 15 minutes with plenty of water. See a doctor immediately.
If on SKIN - Rinse with plenty of water, remove contaminated clothing, wash with soap and water. If swelling, blistering, redness or irritation occurs see a doctor.
If INHALED - Remove patient to fresh air. Seek medical advice if effects persist.
If patient has symptoms or is concerned contact a doctor immediately.
Advice to doctor - Treat symptomatically.
Call Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26
25. PROTECTIVE CLOTHING:Safety goggles and face shield.
Elbow length PVC gloves.
Cotton overalls and washable hat.
26 RE ENTRY PERIODS and OTHER SAFETY ISSUES:Strawberries - 24 hours.
Apples, Pears, Stone Fruit, Grapes - 7 days.
Turf, Seedlings, Roses - After spray has dried.
27. PROPERTIES:Product appearance - Grey brown granules.
Shelf Life - at least 2 years.
Product Flammability - Combustible solid. Emits toxic fumes on burning. May form flammable dust clouds in air with an explosion risk.
Half life in water - short. days at pH5 and 35 C.
Water solubility at 25 C. - 5.1 ppm at pH
Oil solubility -
Octanol:Water ratio at 25 C. - at pH 5.
Vapour Pressure at 25 C. - <0.01 kPa
Dissociation constant - pKa.
Melting point - C.
Boiling point -
Molecular weight -
Density - 0.55
pH - 7.5-8.5
Stability - Can react with oxidising agents.
Emits toxic fumes on burning.
28. ENVIRONMENTAL FATE:Summary - Dangerous to fish.
Birds - Low toxicity. LD50 >2000 mg/kg
Fish - toxicity LC50 > 0.05-0.24 ppm.
Invertebrates - toxicity. LC50 > 1.6 mg/L
Bees - Low toxicity. >200 ug/bee
It has a half life in soil that is short and has short persistence in crops and water .
It has an EPA classification for soil mobility that ranges from
Ground water contamination
Accumulation in milk and tissues.
Risk of bioaccumulation in aquatic species is low.
Low potential for bioaccumulation.
Degrades faster in alkaline conditions.
29. COMPATIBILITY:See HerbiGuide for compatibility with other herbicides, insecticides and fungicides.
See HerbiGuide for a full list of pesticide compatibilities. Compatible with calcium nitrate, Confidor, Lebaycid, Sanmite
Generally compatible with wettable powders and suspension concentrates.
Not generally compatible with EC formulations.
May leave an oily residue which is difficult to clean from sprayer when mixed with Lorsban or Nimrod.
Not compatible with Bordeaux mixture, spray lime, lime sulphur or spray oils.
See HerbiGuide for a full list of pesticide compatibilities
30. REGISTERED CROPS, INSECTS and DISEASES.See HerbiGuide Species Solutions Tab for registered uses.
31. GOVERNMENT AND REGULATORY INFORMATION:Dangerous Goods Class - Not classified as a dangerous good for transport by road or rail. Classified as a dangerous good for marine and air transport.
Hazchem Code -
Packaging Group - 3
32. References:CropCare (2002) Captan 48198 label and MSDS.
Acknowledgments:Collated by HerbiGuide. Phone 08 98444064 or www.HerbiGuide.com.au for more information.