4. ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: NOVALURON 10g/kg5. COST: $9999.00 per L or kg.
6. CHEMICAL GROUP: 14.
7. RELATED PESTICIDES:
8. GENERAL DESCRIPTION:An agricultural insect growth regulator for the control of insects in canola, lucerne, fruit and vegetable crops.
9. APPLICATION METHODS AND TIPS:Best results in fine weather.
Ensure thorough coverage.
Repeat in 7-14 days if necessary.
It has no effect on adult insects.
10. ADJUVANTS, WETTERS, OILS:None recommended
11. EQUIPMENT:Orchard sprayer
12. SPRAYER WASH OUT AND DECONTAMINATION:Spills
Absorb in sand or other inert material . Use appropriate containment to avoid environmental contamination.
13. WATER OR CARRIER DATA:700-3500 L/ha for orchards.
100-400 L/ha for broad acre crops.
14. WEATHER:Don't apply under inversion condidtions.
16. SOIL:17. PLANT HEALTH and OTHER EFFECTS:
18. WITHHOLDING PERIODS:
19. PLANT BACK PERIODS or RECROPPING INTERVALS:
20. MODE OF ACTION:
Insect growth regulator.
Absorbed by eggs or ingested by larvae.
The primary mode of action is by disrupting cuticle formation and
deposition occurring when insects change from one developmental stage to another resulting in death at molting. Due to this mode of action, it has no effect on adult stages of insects that have completed all the successive molts through larval or nymphal stages of
21. PESTICIDE RESISTANCE:Some species may be resistant or develop resistance with continued application. Rotate with products from alternative groups.
22. TOXICITY:Poison schedule - S0
Poison schedule - S0 Does not require conrol by scheduling.
Mammalian toxicity -
Acute oral LD50 - >5000 mg/kg (rats), [For comparison table salt is 3000 mg/kg]
Acute dermal LD50 - >2000 mg/kg (rabbit).
Skin - Slight skin irritant. Sensitizer (Guinea pig maximization tes). However, the field-use dilution (0.1% in water) does not cause skin sensitization
Eye - Serious eye damage/irritation : Irritating to eyes.
Vapour inhalation - LC50 - 5.15 mg/L air (rat).
Chronic oral toxicity NOEL - ppm for two years.
Not mutagenic (i.e. does not cause cancer).
In some products the formulating agents N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone are Repro. Cat. 2 and may cause harm to the unborn child
Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) -
23. TOXICITY SYMPTOMS:Symptoms of Poisoning with Urea Compounds
Systemic toxicity is unlikely unless large amounts have been ingested.
- Many substituted ureas are irritating to eyes, skin and mucous membranes.
- Coughing and shortness of breath.
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, confusion and electrolyte depletion.
- Protein metabolism disturbances, moderate emphysema, and weight loss with chronic exposure.
24. FIRST AID:If SWALLOWED - Do not induce vomiting. Wash out mouth with plenty of water. Give sips of water if patient can swallow. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person.
If in EYES - Irrigate for 15 minutes with plenty of water.
If on SKIN - Rinse with plenty of water, remove contaminated clothing, wash with soap and water.
If INHALED - Remove patient to fresh air.
If patient has symptoms or is concerned contact a doctor immediately.
Advice to doctor - Treat symptomatically. No specific antidote. If ingested perform gastric lavage and administer activated charcoal.
Call Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26
25. PROTECTIVE CLOTHING:Safety goggles and face shield.
Elbow length PVC gl;oves.
Cotton overalls and washable hat.
26 RE ENTRY PERIODS and OTHER SAFETY ISSUES:27. PROPERTIES:
Product appearance - light yellow liquid with a faint characteristic odour
Shelf Life -
Product Flammability - Not flammable
Flash point : 102°C ( Closed cup )
Half life in water - days at pH5 and 35 C.
Water solubility at 25 C. - Novaluron is 3 ìg/L.
Oil solubility -
Octanol:Water ratio at 25 C. - at pH 5.
Vapour Pressure - Pure Novaluron 1.6x(10)-5 Pa at 25 C. -
Dissociation constant - pKa.
Partition coefficient : n-octanol / water : Novaluron : 4.3
Melting point - Pure Novaluron 176.5 - 178°C.
Boiling point -
Molecular weight -
Density - 1.07
Chemical name - 1-[3-chloro-4-(1,1,2-trifluoro-2-trifluoro-ethoxyethoxy)phenyl]-- 3-(2,6-difluorobenzoyl)urea
28. ENVIRONMENTAL FATE:Summary - Toxic to bees and aquatic species. Dangerous for the environment.
Birds - Low toxicity. LD50 >2000 mg/kg
Fish - Moderate toxicity LC50 62.4 mg/L
Invertebrates - High toxicity. EC50 4.22 mg/L
Bees - High toxicity.
Algae - EbC50 33.5 mg/L
It has a half life in soil of 68-76 days for Novaluron.
It has an EPA classification for soil mobility that ranges from
Ground water contamination
Accumulation in milk and tissues.
29. COMPATIBILITY:See HerbiGuide for compatibility with other herbicides, insecticides and fungicides.
See HerbiGuide for a full list of pesticide compatibilities.
30. REGISTERED CROPS, INSECTS and DISEASES.See HerbiGuide Species Solutions Tab for registered uses.
31. GOVERNMENT AND REGULATORY INFORMATION:APVMA Numbers:
UN number: 3082
CAS numbers: 116714-46-6
OPP Chemical Code:
Land transport: ADG
Dangerous goods class (ADG):
Sea transport: IMDG
International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code (IMDG):
Proper shipping name: ENVIRONMENTALLY HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE, LIQUID, N.O.S. (100 g/L Novaluron)
Hazard Class: 9
Packaging group: III
Marine Pollutant: Yes
Air transport: IATA/ICAO
Proper Shipping Name: ENVIRONMENTALLY HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE, LIQUID, N.O.S. (100 g/L Novaluron)
Technical Name: 100 g/L Novaluron
Packaging group: III
Cargo Packing Instructions:
Passenger Packing Instructions:
No Spray Zones:
Dangerous for the environment.
Risk Phrase(s) :
R36/37/38 - Irritating to eyes, respiratory system and skin.
R43 - May cause sensitization by skin contact.
R50/53 - Very toxic to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic
R61 - May cause harm to the unborn child.
Safety Phrase(s) :
S02 - Keep out of the reach of children.
S20/21 - When using, do not eat, drink or smoke.
S24/25 - Avoid contact with skin and eyes.
S26 - In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice.
S28 - After contact with skin, wash immediately with plenty of
S36/37/39 - Wear suitable protective clothing, gloves and eye/face protection.
S61 - Avoid release to the environment. Refer to special instructions/Safety data sheets.
Acknowledgments:Collated by HerbiGuide. Phone 08 98444064 or www.HerbiGuide.com.au for more information.